Just Do It

    I believe it was Nike that used the motto "Just Do It!"  I recently thought about it when I was listening to a podcast about getting things done.  The guest on the show stated that the longer you wait to do something, the more likely you are to talk yourself out of it, and that you'll never be more ready than you are today.  I think it's good advice, at least for someone like me.  I like to research and learn, but at some point, even if you don't feel ready, I think it's best to just get to work.  

    I waited for two years to approach leaving my job to be home full time, and once I made the decision, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  Again, I felt a huge relief once I told everyone at work what my plans were, and no one threw stones at me, but instead congratulated me.  Wait, what?  

    It happened when I was planning to homeschool as well. I read and researched for two years, but still didn't quite feel ready.  It seemed a little irresponsible to just pull my kids out of school all willy-nilly, but looking back, I wish I had.  I figured it out once we got started, and even now, three years in, I'm still figuring things out.  But isn't that how life is?  We try, and if it doesn't work, we figure out another way.  

    Once I got the idea to turn some of my writings into a book, I was motivated to keep writing.  And then, once it was finished, I wondered why I had done that, until I thought maybe I could look into publishing.  I sent my manuscript to a couple of publishers that rejected it.  But then, I found one that said it would publish my book.  So I did.  I'll never be on the New York Times Bestseller List, but I am a published author.  And the reason is because I decided to go for it.  

    I believe that as long as I am being faithful, God will provide.  I am not perfect.  Oh no.  I make mistakes.  I'm quite good at it really.  But I do pray about those things that trouble me.  And nothing is too small for God.   I prayed about whether or not to homeschool, quit my job, and publish my book, and things fell into place for me, so I did them all.  But make no mistake, it was all God at work.  

    I knew that I may need to work at least part-time to bring in some income just to give my family a little cushion.  Teaching doesn't usually offer part-time jobs however and that's really all I know how to do.  I had previously applied for a job with HSLDA Academy (Home School Legal Defense Association) and had not been the candidate they were looking for.  But something told me one day that maybe I should consider them again, so I looked on their website to see what was available.  Amazingly, there was an English I position available, and in Kentucky, I am certified for that.  I have no experience in it but thought it might be worth a shot.  This academy serves home school students all over the United States, so with it being a national job, I considered it a long shot, but I went for it anyway.  I was amazed when not only did I get an interview, but I also was offered the job shortly after, and I will be teaching the course beginning in August of this year!  This allows me to continue teaching, which I love, and still be able to stay home.

    Please don't misunderstand, God doesn't always answer my prayers with a yes.  I get plenty of no's as well.  What I am telling you is that when you get the notion for something, pray about it first, and if you don't get that no from God, or things begin to fall into place telling you that God is providing, just do it already!

(By the way, if you're interested in reading my book, you can find it here and here.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Home Educating Journey

Determined to Homestead